As the monsoon rolls in, there’s nothing more comforting than cozy blankets and warm beverages. The feeling of a hot beverage warming you up from the inside, right from the first sip, is unparalleled. On some days, especially when you are feeling a little under the weather, you need something stronger than just tea or coffee. The ideal solution to this problem is a hot toddy!
What is a hot toddy?
A hot toddy is a warm cocktail containing either whiskey, brandy, rum, or bourbon. Packed with medicinal ingredients like lemon and honey, a hot toddy can do wonders for your cold. While it may not completely cure your cold, it will definitely help you in managing your symptoms and give you some warm relief on cold, rainy nights.
Were you aware that according to one of the numerous narratives, the beverage's roots can be traced back to India? In the 1600s, during British rule, the Hindi term 'taadi' or 'taddy' denoted a drink crafted from palm sap, which was fermented to create an alcoholic beverage. Eventually, in the 18th century, the name was adapted and the hot toddy became an officially recognized drink, maintaining its widespread popularity in English pubs to this day.
Hot toddies made with tea are superior to the ones made with plain water as they are packed with many additional health benefits and not to forget, a richer taste! Let’s take a look at what a hot tea toddy is made of.
What goes into a hot tea toddy?
The base ingredient of a hot toddy is plain water or tea. While water works just fine, making a tea-infused hot toddy gives it a superior taste and adds to its health benefits! You are bound to get a richer texture and bolder flavors with a tea-based hot toddy. The next main ingredient is the liquor of choice. Based on your preference, you can opt for whiskey, rum, brandy, or bourbon. Along with that, spices like cloves, cinnamon, and star anise are used for their healing powers. For a citrusy kick, lemon is commonly used in this drink. Lastly, honey or any other sweetener of choice is used to balance the taste.
The right tea for your toddy
The key to making a delicious hot toddy is using the perfect tea. While there is no single right tea, here are a few that perfectly complement hot toddies.
Kashmiri Kahwa: Infused with saffron and famous for its cold-curing magical powers, the Kashmiri Kahwa tea is a fragrant and rich tea to use as a base for hot tea toddies. Its unique flavor blends well with liquor and creates an aromatic, soothing toddy that will treat your cold right away.
Assam Black Tea: What sets this tea apart is its bold earthy taste notes which are a great way to balance out the sharpness of the alcohol. This black tea is a great fit for this recipe as it complements all the ingredients that go into this recipe.
- Immune Warrior Tea: When you’re really fighting a cold and need to bring out your best ammunition, spiking your hot toddy with TGL Co’s Immune Warrior Tea is your best bet. It is packed with herbal ingredients that will strengthen your immunity and help you feel better instantly.
Apart from these, teas like Chamomile, Organic Green Tea, Darjeeling Black Tea, and Earl Grey Tea are great options to add more variety to your recipe. All these teas are available in loose-leaf and tea bag versions on the TGL Co. website.
Health benefits of a hot tea toddy
- The alcohol in the hot today helps in easing congestion and spreading warmth throughout your body.
- Lemon wedges add a dose of Vitamin C which is an immunity booster.
- The rich spices help in reducing inflammation and soothe the body. They are also rich in antioxidants.
- Honey acts as a great throat coat and is recommended for coughs and sore throats.
- Lastly, the tea packs a punch with its antioxidant properties and polyphenols.
How to make the perfect hot tea toddy
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and steep your TGL Co. tea leaves or 2 tea bags for a few minutes.
- If you’re using plain teas you can add some cinnamon, cloves, and star anise. Let this mixture simmer for a while.
- Remove it from the heat and pour it into mugs.
- Add honey or any other sweetener as needed and combine until completely dissolved.
- Add 2 shots of the liquor of your choice to your tea.
- Add some lemon juice, garnish the mug with a lemon wedge, and serve hot. That’s it!
Hot Toddies are a great way to enjoy your teas and liquors during the monsoon season. They are the perfect way to feel warm and well when you are fighting a cold. Now that you know how to make it, it's time to hibernate and enjoy the goodness of a hot toddy!